Creating a Metadata Record
- To gain understanding of the role and application of metadata inmanaging science data.
- To become familiar with scientific metadata standards through hands-on exercise.
How to proceed:
- Use the information in the table you created for Exercise 2 as the base for mapping with a scientific metadata standard, e.g. if you used geospatial dataset and repository for Exercise 1 and 2, you would be mapping the information with FGDC metadata standard elements.
- Add a column to the second table as shown below:
Table 4. Grouping information categories.
Information category Information identified Entity Mapping to metadata standard Maintenance authority USGS Repository Publisher Time coverage 1920-present Repository Time period … … …
- Obtain a copy of the metadata standard. Compare the elements in the standard with the information existing in your table and assign an element or elements to the appropriate information category.
- Create a metadata record by using one of the following methods (tutorial will be provided for how to use the software:
- Use Metavista, a software based on CSDGM standard.
- Use XML schema to create an XML document using an XML editing tool, e.g. XML spy or oXygen XML editor.
- Write one paragraph or two to summarize your experience in creating the metadata record.
- An electronic copy of the metadata record in XML format uploaded into WebCT. The deadline for submission is midnight of the due date.
- A printout of the summary of experience in creating the metadata record handed in class.